Oops…I (over) did it again

25 Apr
Flourless Chocolate Cake at Giorgio on Pine, indulgent yes, delicious yes! Photo by Jess B.

Flourless Chocolate Cake at Giorgio on Pine, indulgent yes, delicious yes!                 Photo by Jess B.

Remember my post about planning to pace whilst in Philly from a few weeks back? Well apparently I didn’t quite remember my own advice.  You’d have thought I’d have got the hang of it by now, but no apparently not.

The planning went a bit awry last week. I somehow forgot (again) that I can’t go out, however small, everyday. My body just can’t do that. I forgot this and for a few days I did ‘go out’ everyday.

Tues – Happy hour drink at Ritz Carlton, pushed in wheelchair, total time out 1 hour 45 mins

Photo by Jess B.

Photo by Jess B.

Weds – Italian Market to visit Taffet’s Gluten Free Bakery, taxi there, bus back, walk 4 blocks, total time out 1 hour 30 mins

Thurs – 13th Street Shops (go in 2 shops) and happy hour drink at Vintage, wheelchair there and back, total time out 2 hours

Fri – Delicious gluten free dinner out at Giorgio On Pine, taxi there and back, total time out 2 hours

Photo by Jess B.

Photo by Jess B.

Sat –  Clothes shopping at Ann Taylor Loft and coffee at Rittenhouse Square, wheelchair there and back, total time out 2 hours 30 minutes

Rittenhouse Square in the sunshine. Photo by Jess B.

Rittenhouse Square in the sunshine. Photo by Jess B.

By Sunday my body had given up and was screaming at me ‘if ur not gonna listen to me then I’m gonna make u stop’. And last Sunday that’s what I had to do. I had to stop. I had to take a rain-check on our plan to go out for a brunch and then to have cake at Sweet Freedom Bakery. I woke up feeling distinctly ‘fluey’, exhausted and very achy. My temperature was all over the place. Despite wearing yoga leggings, top, socks, big woolly jumper, dressing gown and blanket, I was still cold sat in our apartment (my mum was in a skirt and top, it was me, it wasn’t actually cold).

I felt so bad messing up Sunday for everyone, especially as it was my parents last weekend before they flew home. But we made the most of it, they went over to Reading Terminal Market and brought me back a delicious comfort lunch of roast turkey and mashed potatoes. Late afternoon, Lou took me out in my wheelchair for a couple of blocks to get some fresh air. The rest of the day I spent resting on my bed or on the sofa flicking through magazines, doing lots of relaxation and watching Parenthood (by the way if you haven’t see Parenthood before I totally recommend it!) I didn’t even do yoga; I genuinely felt that bad. But I’m happy to report by bedtime on Sunday I was feeling much better. The day of R&R was what my body had needed.

It wasn’t a miracle cure and I didn’t wake up Monday morning bright and full of energy (if only…) but I did feel better than I had the day before. Four days on, sat writing this, I’m still ‘more fatigued than ‘my usual’ but significantly better than how I felt on Sunday. I have the rest of the week with no plans, just following my routine and lots of rest before Mr B arrives on Saturday.

As hard as it is not to want to cram loads of stuff in to the ten days holiday I have with Mr B here in Philly before it’s time to fly home, I have learned my lesson. I must pay more attention to my body and not get caught up in the whirl of being in a different place wanting to do lots of things. It’s hard though as I don’t want to be a drag on Mr B’s holiday. Time off from work is precious and I worry that he’ll have a boring time being here with me. But then I STOP and remind myself that Mr B just wants me to get better, that he is more than happy chilling out faffing on the internet, relaxing on the sofa,  that we do have some things planned and that he loves me and would do anything to help me get better, so really I should just  STOP and quit worrying 🙂

Routine, rest and pacing is key to being able to get out and about with ME / CFS. Lesson learned, I will listen to my own advice from now on. And I will try really hard to plan and pace and not to (over) do it again.

To end on a positive note, looking back at what I did do last week, to be honest I’m quite impressed that I haven’t actually had worse after effects. Even though the rest of the time when I wasn’t out I was just in our apartment resting and following my routine, I think I can proudly say that I actually did do quite a lot last week. Okay so it turned out to be too much as I felt bad on Sunday and am still not out of the dip four days on, but the total wipeout was just on Sunday. I take heart from that. Slowly but surely I am winning this battle with ME / CFS.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: